Powersim Studio 10 Features - Version History
Below is a full list of Service Releases and Feature Packs for Studio 10.
Powersim Studio 10 Service Release 6 with Feature Pack 1
Released January, 2017
The sixth service release of Studio 10 contains many improvements and a number of bug fixes.
- The Go To Parameter Source command now also works for variables in submodels and child variables.
- The Go To Parameter Source command can now also be used in private diagrams.
- A new Used in Diagram column is now available in the Equations Window and in the Details Window. This column shows the name of the diagram in which a variable or flow is used.
- Property pages with property lists are now sizable, and you can adjust the width of the property pages with a splitter.
- The contents of the Fill and Text property pages is now scaled.
- The Connect to Submodel dialog is now sizable, and it remembers its size and other settings. A new documentation column has been added. The Connect Submodels dialog now also remembers its settings.
- Several other dialogs have also been made sizable: The Paste Special Parameter dialog, the Select Destination Value dialog, the Assign Parameter dialog, the Create Variable Shortcut dialog, the Create Variable Slice dialog, the Include Variable dialog, the Create Connection Point dialog, the Copy Component dialog, and the Create Incoming/Outgoing Flow for Rate dialog.
- Increased the precision of symbol selection when clicking in diagrams. Clicking the selection frame of a symbol will now always keep that symbol selected, even if it is covered by another symbol.
- You can now hold down the Ctrl key instead of the Shift key to select multiple objects in diagrams.
- It is now much easier to select cells in Table controls, and you can select a range of cells with the mouse. Click the first cell in the range and then drag to the last cell in the range. If you hold down the Ctrl key while you are dragging, you can select another range by clicking in a cell outside the first range and then drag. You may also hold down the Shift key while dragging to extend the most recent selection range.
- In Table controls you can select a range of cells by clicking the first cell in the range, and then hold down the Shift key while you click the last cell in the range. You may also expand a selected range of cells by using the arrow keys while holding down the Shift key.
- Table controls now allow using the arrow keys while holding down the Ctrl key to move to the last non-blank cell in the same column or row, or, if the next cell is blank, to the next non-blank cell. This is useful for navigation in tables with sparse data. Also, when selecting a range of cells, you may hold down both Ctrl and Shift to expand the selection to the last non-blank cell in the same column or row, or, if the next cell is blank, to the next non-blank cell.
- You can now use Tab and Shift-Tab on the keyboard to navigate between adjacent cells in Table controls.
- While editing values in Table controls, you can now use the up and down arrays to navigate between cells in a column, and you can use Tab and Shift-Tab to navigate between cells in a row.
- The dialog that is displayed when executing a Show Dialog action now allows for keyboard navigation.
- Improved the lists of parameter names in the Assign Parameter Name and Assign Parameter Value context menus of Table controls.
- Fixed a problem that could cause Studio to stop working when using a reserved word in time unit names for calendar-independent simulations.
- Fixed a problem that could cause Studio to stop working when trying to create a parameter for a field (Re/Im/Length/Angle) of a variable with Complex data type.
- Fixed a problem that could cause Studio to stop working when using a Set Value action to assign a scalar value to a variable with a dimension based on a dynamic range.
- Fixed some problems that made it difficult to specify the destination value for a Set Value action in the Actions property page if the selected destination was non-scalar.
- Fixed a problem that could make it difficult to create parameters for variables having dimensions based on dynamic ranges in the Value source tree found in the Parameters property page, in the Paste Special Parameter dialog, and in the Select Destination Value dialog.
- Fixed a problem that sometimes occurred when creating parameters for variables with Complex data type in the Variable source tree.
- Made it easier to navigate between editable cells that have infinite values with unit. If you start editing such a cell, and then leave it unchanged, you no longer get a syntax error message.
- Fixed an issue that sometimes caused Studio to stop working when panning in a diagram using the middle mouse button.
- Fixed an issue that prevented initial diagrams and other windows from being shown when opening a password-protected project file.
- Fixed some performance and stability issues.
Powersim Studio 10 Service Release 5 with Feature Pack 1
Released May, 2016
The fifth service release of Studio 10 contains a few improvements and a number of bug fixes.
- Further improved appearance on high-resolution displays.
- The Recoverable Files pane now displays the path and possibly other useful state information about the original file. If the original file is not available, it will no longer be listed as an available version.
- It is now easier to control the value of a gauge parameter when dragging the gauge needle.
- Improved some error messages that can be displayed when using the XLDATA function.
- Fixed a problem that caused Studio to stop working when using XLDATA with a sheet dimension given by the alternative ""Sheet1*Sheet2*" syntax.
- Fixed a problem that caused erroneous result when using the RESULTANTFLOW function in a composite expression.
- Fixed a problem that sometimes could cause undetermined behavior when deleting variables.
- Fixed a problem that sometimes could cause series variables to have a one-period delay in cases where reference variables were included in a feedback loop.
- Fixed a problem that caused enumeration ranges with one element to be ill-defined in models converted from Powersim Constructor.
- Fixed a problem that caused conversion of Powersim Constructor models to fail if the file name contained characters that are invalid in component names.
- Fixed a problem that could cause links to be misshaped in models converted from Powersim Constructor.
- Fixed a problem that caused a Show Dialog action to wrongfully appear as invalid when it had an array parameter based on a dynamic range.
- Fixed a problem with file recovery that caused the name of a temporary file to be displayed instead of the actual project name. This happened when you double-clicked a file that had a newer, autosaved recoverable version.
- Fixed a problem that in some cases could cause undetermined behavior when using keyboard to navigate in toolbars.
- Fixed a problem that made the "Demo License Terms and Conditions" link not working in Windows 8 and newer.
- Fixed some stability issues.
Powersim Studio 10 Service Release 4 with Feature Pack 1
Released December, 2015
The fourth service release of Studio 10 contains some improvements and a number of bug fixes.
- Revised terminology, texts and documentation used in connection with file recovery to make the feature easier to understand.
- Improved appearance on high-resolution displays.
- When opening a project received from another user and the project has enabled active content, a more user-friendly dialog is now displayed, asking the user how to handle active content for this project. Previously only a message box was displayed.
- When a range defined by XLRANGE or DBRANGE yields no elements, a single dummy element is generated (since a range in Powersim Studio cannot be empty). The name of this element text has changed from "Error: No elements" to "<No Elements>".
- Fixed a problem that could cause the help window for dialogs to be positioned incorrectly.
- Fixed a problem that made it difficult to enter dates and times for certain languages. Due to new default date/time formats in Windows 10 this problem became more apparent.
- Fixed a problem that could cause Studio to stop working when entering invalid dates and times.
- Fixed a problem that caused Studio to stop working when deleting a private diagram.
- Fixed a problem that could cause Studio to stop working when enabling the Gregorian calendar for a project.
- Fixed a problem that caused Studio to stop working when you, for example, in an attempt to add a dimension to a FOR function, temporarily typed an expression like "FOR(i=j=SomeRange…".
- Fixed a problem that could cause Studio to stop working when typing the word "Parent" inside an index expression of a FOR function.
- Fixed a problem that could cause Studio to stop working when saving a file after having changed the Past parameter of a SLIDINGMAX or SLIDINGMIN function.
- Fixed some stability issues.
- If you have the so-called Click-to-Run installation of Microsoft Office 2013 or Microsoft Office 2016, database connections to Access from Powersim Studio will not work. You can get around this issue by rather installing the MSI installation of Microsoft Office (if available to your organization), or by installing the Microsoft Access 2010 Runtime (available from Microsoft's download pages) in addition to Office 2013/2016.
Powersim Studio 10 Service Release 3 with Feature Pack 1
Released August, 2015
The third service release of Studio 10 contains one bug fix concerning Windows 10.
- Fixed a problem that could cause Studio to stop working on Windows 10.
Powersim Studio 10 Service Release 2 introducing Feature Pack 1
Released July, 2015
The second service release of Studio 10 introduces Feature Pack 1 for users with Support and Upgrade Agreement (SUA). The release contains a couple of new features, as well as a few improvements and bug fixes available to all users.
- In cases where the built-in functions are not covering your needs and VBFUNCTION scripts are not efficient enough, it is now possible to implement high-performance Custom Functions in C++.
- New picture formats are now supported in Studio: JPEG, PNG, GIF, and TIFF.
- When pasting a picture in a diagram, the Paste Special dialog is displayed to allow the user to choose picture format.
- The new Insert Picture command lets you import a picture from a file in an easy way.
- Fixed a problem that could cause undetermined behavior when a picture is no longer referenced in a project.
- Fixed a problem with the layout of the Action Button Properties page when displayed on some high-resolution screens.
Powersim Studio 10 Service Release 1
Released November, 2014
The first service release of Studio 10 contains some bug fixes.
- Fixed a problem that could cause Studio to stop working when displaying the Equations Window. This occurred with large models in the 64-bit platform version of Studio.
- Fixed a problem that could cause Studio to stop responding when displaying enumeration values in controls with insufficient space for the entire enumeration value text.
- Fixed a problem that could cause Studio to stop working when adding a new simulation or risk analysis and there were dynamic ranges based on external sources.
- Fixed a problem that in some cases caused silent installations of Studio to fail because the specified command line parameters were discarded.
- Fixed a problem that caused validation to fail when using PROJECT_DIR_PLACEHOLDER with Advanced database type in the Database Connection property page.
- Fixed a problem that caused the wrong data provider to be used when connecting to an Excel file with extension ".xlsx" through a Database Connection.
Powersim Studio 10 Major Release
Released March, 2014.
The first release of Powersim Studio 10 contains a range of new features and improvements, and a few bug fixes. In addition, we have made some changes to the licensing scheme for Studio.
Licensing Scheme Changes:
- Customers with a valid Support and Upgrade Agreement (SUA) at the time of the Studio 10 release will automatically get an upgraded edition when installing Studio 10:
- Enterprise licenses are upgraded to Premium,
- Professional licenses are upgraded to Expert,
- Cockpit licenses are upgraded to Executive.
- The Enterprise edition has been discontinued.
- The Cockpit edition is available for free.
- The price of the Professional edition has been reduced.
- In addition, the set of features available in the Professional and Cockpit editions has been changed.
- Introduced a project setting, available in Studio Premium, for specifying distribution using the new free Studio Cockpit This new setting allows the modeler to verify that the project will actually work with Studio Cockpit.
- Dynamic ranges are now also available in other Studio editions than Premium.
- Connections to file-based databases is now possible in other Studio editions than Premium, through DBRANGE, DBRANGEDATA and DBPIVOTDATA.
- For a project set up to automatically start presentation it is now possible to protect for edit access independently of view access. Run access is sufficient to view presentations for projects that have enabled features of Studio 10.
- Introduced a new method CreateActiveXObject for the external object available to the HTML document contained in Presentation Sidekicks and in the dialog of Show Dialog actions.
- Introduced a new method Simulation::SetMultipleValues in the Simulation Engine Object Model that makes it possible to change the value and/or history of multiple variables without recalculating the dependent variables until all variables are changed.
- Introduced a new function PERIODLENGTHSERIES that returns the length of all series periods as a vector.
- Revamped the password protection scheme, making it easier to understand. The protection levels now have the same meaning regardless of whether the project is set up to automatically start presentation or not.
- Introduced an option named 'Enable Active Content' that must be selected in order for VBFUNCTION to work. When opening a project from another user and the project has enabled active content, the user is now warned about the potential risks involved with active content.
- When working with the Simulation Engine Object Model from within Studio, you now get the simViewAccess access rights (in the Simulation Engine) if View Access is available for the project (in Studio).
- It is now possible to limit the number of cores utilized for calculations per simulation project.
- The Oil Production Simulation sample has been updated to use the CreateActiveXObject method, which is now available in the external object for the HTML page scripts of a Show Dialog action.
- Introduced a new property EnabledFeatureLevel for the external object available to the HTML document contained in Presentation Sidekicks and in the dialog of Show Dialog actions.
- New sample model: The Upstream Oil and Gas Simulation model illustrates assembly of a model using components from a component library.
- There is now a link to on-line instructional videos in both the Task Assistant and the Help menu.
- Fixed a problem that prevented access from within Studio to Simulation Engine Object Model properties and methods introduced after Studio 7 SDK Feature Pack 1 (unless the Studio SDK or Simulation Engine was installed on the same computer).
- Fixed a problem that prevented accessing controllable ranges from scripts in Presentation Sidekicks and in the dialog of Show Dialog actions.
- Fixed a problem that prevented the labels of Scatter Graph controls from being updated when changing the parameter list.
- Fixed a problem that in some cases prevented the inconsistency indicator from being displayed on a link between two submodels.
- Fixed various problems related to reference variables.
- Fixed a problem that prevented the value of series variables from being set from controls and actions if the variable type was Constant and the series type was Last.
- Fixed a problem that sometimes occurred when binding child variables of a submodel to source variables after having dragged a link to the submodel. REF was incorrectly used when the destination variable was a series variable and the source variable was a non-series start-up variable.
- Fixed some issues regarding visiting bookmarks that could cause the resulting zoom factor to become unpredictable.
- Fixed a problem that prevented the first segment of a time graph from being displayed when used with a series variable of type Last.
- Fixed a problem that could cause a simulation project to enter a state where the "Do you want to save the changes...?" message box appeared when closing, even if no changes were made. (Saving the project did not get rid of this undesired state.)
- Fixed a problem that could prevent variables with automatic dimensions containing FIRSTSERIESRANGE/LASTSERIESRANGE/SERIESRANGE from being redimensioned when the series resolution changed.
- Fixed a problem that could cause variable names to appear without associated variable symbols if the containing diagram was closed and then reopened.